The incentive program is one of the strategic initiatives of the Film Commission to develop the film industry in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. The program aims to make the Kingdom a global destination for film production.
- Up to 40% cash rebate on production spend.
- Support to get licenses and approval.
- A variety of unique shooting locations.
- A database of professional service providers.
The film incentive program is available for both Saudi and international production companies. Note: Government and semi-government companies are not eligible to apply for the program
Companies must meet the following requirements to qualify for cash rebate incentive:
1. A production company registered and licensed in Saudi Arabia, or a co-production agreement with a Saudi production company registered
2. Obtain a shooting permit in Saudi Arabia
3. Complete the incentive program application process and approvals
4. Meet the minimum qualifying expenditure (see below)
5. Proof of secured budget/financing of the project
The minimum expenditure is as follows:
- Fiction feature films: $200,000 per project
- Documentaries: $50,000 per project
- Animation: $50,000 per project
Yes, the minimum number of production days to qualify for the cash rebate is 5 days.
The following expenditure are qualified for cash rebate:
- Above the line expenses for Saudi crew such as producer, director, main cast, writers etc.
- Below the line expenses for Saudi crew such as gaffers, production crew, technicians, set design etc
- Above the line expense for non-Saudis, based on special conditions set by the Film Commission
- Rental and production design expenses provided by local companies
- Travel expenses by local Saudi carriers, including domestic and international flights
- Insurance policies purchased by local insurance providers
- Expenses of local consultants and industry experts
- Other related local expenses
All the expenditure not mentioned above, including all out of kingdom expenses.